Monday, October 6, 2008

LONG WEEK

It's been a long week. (I'm referring to last Monday night through today). Last week, I got to experience my sons first cold. It was not a joyous or pleasant experience by any means. Tuesday night was the worst night by far. Our poor boy was so stuffy, he was having difficulty breathing. Now you and I know that you compensate by breathing through your mouth, but an almost 6 month baby does not know that yet. I spent most of Tuesday night rocking and singing my boy to sleep or attempting to keep him asleep. I sang every hymn that I could remember. In the GardenI and Victory in Jesus were two songs that seemed to do the trick and my little espresso would calm too. And when I wrote "all night" I meant all night. My hubby and I were going to take shifts, but every time I gave our boy to his daddy, our little boy carried on as if someone were trying to give cut off his toes. This made my cup of joe (hubby) quite upset because he wanted to calm and soothe his little boy. I was able to get a few hours of sleep, but nothing significant.

To make matters worse, our little espresso (boy) thought he'd share is cold with his daddy. Instead of just a little boy with a cold and I had a BIG BOY with a cold too. It's nice to have a little help with a sick baby because they are that more demanding on your time and use up so much more of energy, but with my cup of joe sick as well, I was drained by Thursday.

Thankfully by Thursday, any fever our little espresso was having was long gone and we just had to deal with congestion. Of course, saline drops and aspirating were prescribed. As with most babies, our espresso absolutely HATED having his nose suctioned with an aspirator. However, by Saturday, it was if he knew what we were doing (trying to help) and he stopped fussing and crying whenever we put saline up his nose and then suctioned all the goop out.

We also gave our espresso lots and lots of steamy showers. We would sit in the shower with him and crank up the water as hot as it would go to create steam. That was rather fun, until the last time when it was my turn to give the steamy shower and my little espresso peed all over me. That was gross. At least I was in the shower and could easily cleanse myself.

Today, I think we have rounded the corner. Cup of joe and espresso are back to their normal selves. It's so good to see my happy espresso jump for joy in his jumperoo or wave his arms frantically as I pass by wanting to be picked up.

All I can say is, "here's to happy, cold-free babies!"

1 comment:

Meg said...

So glad they are better! Way to go for surviving!!! What a relief to see them all happy again! :) You know, you wrote on our blog two weeks ago that you were dreading the first cold and it was just around the corner and you made it!!!

That is neat about the saline!
I totally forgot that Samuel did this for me when he was sick last week too! He wasn't that horribly congested but the one night was B.A.D. (There's always one night like that) Anyways, after about two days of giving him saline, he'd lay on the bed really still while I put saline in his nose. No fighting that! He is still not fond of the bulb thing though!!

Glad the steamy showers helped. Sammy LOVES getting in the shower with me when he's sick. It just makes him feel better to be close to mommy and have the steam and the warm water on him. I have the same problem with colds - all he wants is mommy...so I have to work harder than daddy. There are other things like that too as he gets older that make life harder at times on me but that is just the way of it I guess!

Too bad about the pee - about the best place for it to happen though!!