Monday, December 22, 2008

A hair saga

I'll start out with a bang: I HATE my hair. I always have hated it and I still do. It's a burden that I'll have to endure the rest of my life.

My hair is THICK, COURSE, WAVY, CURLY and to put it mildly, has a mind of its own.

When I was girl, I had long hair and I hated it. I was a tomboy and it was always in my way, not to mention HOT.


I begged my mom to cut my hair and finally she relented. YAY. My hair was cut to the top of my shoulders. From there, my hair was a seesaw from the bottom of my ears to the top of my shoulders.



During my high school years, I had no idea HOW to make my hair presentable. I had no idea about hairstyles and picking one that would work with my difficult hair.

The summer of sophomore year in college, my brother suggested I get my hair cut like one of the US gymnasts of the Magnificent Seven - Amanda Borden. This would be a drastic change, but frustrated with my hair, I did it.



While not overly thrilled with short hair, my difficult hair was a little less difficult in some ways (it wasn't always in my face) but at the same time, it was more difficult as it's waviness was more difficult to manage and style. Yet, I kept my hair short for the next seven years.

Enter Eric.

I met my long hair, loving husband and from the moment we started dating, I started letting my hair grow. That was one of the hardest and most frustrating things I have ever done. So many times I wanted to quit and just revert to my short hair, but I kept persevering and one year later, my hair was down to my shoulder blades.

I discovered with my new long hair that it curled nicely with gel. It was impossible to straighten, but that didn't matter since it looked great in its natural state. I was thrilled!





Since then, I have kept my "longer" hair, occassionally getting it cut just above my shoulders, but never back to my short state.

However, since having my son, my hair lost some of it's curliness and is now just plain wavy. It doesn't lay or curl as it did before my pregnancy. But, on the positive side, it is much easier to straighten.

My hair also grew a minimum of a half an inch a month and was impossible to control during the long nine months of carrying my Espresso.

And now, eight months after giving birth to my Espresso, I have finally taken the time to have my hair cut in a specific style. I could feel my hair breathing a sigh of relief as it was pampered.

YAY! I'm so happy to be stylish Mommy for my Espresso instead feelilng like his frumpy ole' Mama!!

No comments: