Monday, February 8, 2010

Life on the low sodium diet

For 3 weeks, I have been eating low sodium meals. It has been interesting cooking/eating the same foods I normally would eat, but without much of the sodium. I have made chicken fettucini alfredo, spaghetti, pizza, bread, white bean soup, cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, applesauce cake, chocolate cake, and baked chicken & pork chops. It's ALL been good, but when you only know one taste, or how you think something should taste, only to taste it different, THAT will take some getting acclimated to a new taste.

Garlic is in every cooked meal, along with olive oil. I've been using lots of onions as well. I have purchased the "Encyclopedia of Herbs, Spices, & Flavorings" by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz as a resource and textbook to help me learn what spices go great with certain foods and together.

And how do I feel???

I feel great!! I have more energy and don't feel as sluggish after eating a large(r) meal. I also have noticed that I am not nearly as short of breath as I used to be. Before I changed my diet, whenever I would read my little Espresso a story, I was always stopping to catch my breath. It's great to read with ease and without huffing and puffing like the big, bad wolf.

I have lost three pounds and have kept that off, despite being unable to get the gym to exercise and eating ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I have wanted, that is low sodium. I can't complain about that!! :):)

I do allow myself the odd indulgence. At the Super Bowl party we attended last night, I enjoyed a brat and some chili. I'm not going to be THAT strict that I won't let myself enjoy food altogether! :) Mmm...that brat was awesome last night :)

1 comment:

twiggy said...

I try to cook low sodium too, for the hubby. It's really not that bad. We have just about every flavor of Mrs. Dash and he likes those a lot. Glad it seems to be helping you!