Friday, February 19, 2010

Homemade fig bars

My little Espresso is a "bawr-aholic." A bawr being, a fig newton. I have been purchasing Newman's Fig Newtons to avoid the high fructose corn syrup found in Nabisco's Fig Newtons. And...that is getting VERY expensive. At almost $4.00 a package, for 18 little "bawrs," it's been adding up.

I searched the web for a fig bar recipe and found one that I hope would be very similar to those Newman's.

This past Monday, I tackled the recipe, and while they are tasty, they are not quite the same, and unfortunately, my Espresso knows the difference and is not all that keen on them. He'll eat them, but he knows we still have the Newman "bawrs" in the house and is very specific that he wants one of those, NOT mommy's.

Before I share the recipe, I always make a recipe the first time exactly to the instructions. That way, I have a good idea of how it is supposed to come out and from there, I tweak the recipe to my taste/texture preferences. I will also tell you how I plan to change the recipe to perhaps make them more likable to my son.

Dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
12 tbsp (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
4 eggs, divided

Filling:
2 cups figs, chopped (can use dried)
1 cup orange juice
1 cup apple juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp orange peel, or zest of 1 orange

Directions for dough:
Combine the dry ingredients in a lg. bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter pieces until the dough is sandy looking.
Whisk 3 eggs together and add to the dough. Mix to combine. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.

FOR FILLING:
Combine all the filling ingredients in a saucepan or skillet and cook over medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed by the figs and the mixture is thick. Stir during cooking. (Side note: this took about 2 hours, the time needed to chill the dough)

Let the filling cool slightly, then puree in a food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
Note*: for an easier version, sub the filling with 2 cups of fig preserves.

When ready to bake, heat the oven to 375F.
Make an egg wash by whisking the remaining egg with 2 tsp. of water.

Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. On a lightly floured surface roll out each portion of dough into a rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Work with 1 portion of dough at a time. Cut the dough lengthwise into strips, at least 2 1/2 inches wide.
Paint around the edges of each strip with egg wash. Spoon the fig filling down the center of the strip and then fold the dough over to enclose the filling.

Place the tubes, seam side down, on the greased (or lined with parchment paper) cookie sheet. Press down lightly to flatten. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Brush the newtons with the egg wash and bake until light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Let cool, then cut with a sharp knife into 1-inch pieces.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/84230/old-fashioned-fig-newtons.html


Comments on this version of the recipe:
1. The dough was VERY difficult to roll out. It was so stiff and sticky (even with constant flouring of my rolling pin and counter top). Because it was so difficult, I probably did not get the dough as thin as I should have.

2. The orange taste (from juice & zest) is very strong.

What I plan to change next go around:
1. Substitute honey for sugar. I think this will also help in the overall texture of the dough.

2. I will omit the orange peel and/or zest and also substitute the orange juice with either pear or apple juice.


I am looking forward to making things again, with my changes. And I'm hoping my Espresso will one day yell out in joy, "Mommy's BAWR!"

No comments: