Monday, January 26, 2009

I can hear you NOW!

YES! I CAN HEAR!!! As of a week ago, my hearing as returned.

January 9, we headed off for Nashville for my surgery. Everything went well and hubby and I came home the following day after spending that night with Eric's parents. The surgeon told me that every day I should hear things louder and louder. That didn't happen! There were some days following the surgery that I was hearing less than what I had been hearing. I had quite a bit of swelling in my ear and quite of bit of dizziness that lasted for 5 days. Thankfully, those were my only major side affects of the surgery.

Last Monday night, I was frustrated that I was not seeing an improvement in my hearing. I was trying to be patient and hold out until Thursday for the 2 week followup visit with the dr/surgeon.

Tuesday morning I woke up and I noticed something immediately - I COULD HEAR! It was amazing. It was like I woke up in a whole world. I could hear myself DO things around the house. I could hear myself walk for the first time in who knows how long. Everything WAS SO LOUD! The first time the phone rang I jumped about 2 feet! It was piercing!!! Even though it's been a week since my hearing returned, I am still adjusting to how things REALLY sound!!

When we saw the dr. on Thursday I told him what happened and he nonchalantly said, "Oh, the packing must have dried up." So...some packing in my ear that dried opened for sound to return to my ears! Glory HALLULUJAH!!! A hearing test was also done that day and it showed a 40% return in my loss of hearing which bumped me into hearing in the normal range of hearing! The dr. is also confident that I will regain another 5-10% of my hearing! YAY!!

I feel like I'm living in a whole new world, or at least, back in your world! Wow! I knew I was missing a lot, but not as much as I know now that I was missing!!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Aw - that is just neat. Was thinking of you today and my ear got all blocked up and I literally couldn't hear out of it (been sick) - I thought - WOW THIS IS AWFUL!! Poor Priscilla!!!

BTW - your post kinda sounded like a friend of mine's sister. She had a hearing loss at a very young age (like 2) and became eligible for a cochlear implant. The put them in and then slowly turn on the computer programing every few weeks to get the brain used to it. I LOVED LOVED LOVED hearing her updates about when she first heard birds that should could remember or just hearing sounds you think are normal like the fridge running. :)

So glad you are doing better!!! Now, it's time for that "momma" from Ethan as a reward for all your difficulty!!